New Aussie Spam Laws
On April 10th the new Anti-Spam Legislation became effective in Australia.
The maximum fine is 1.1 million Australian dollars a day, roughly equal to $800,000 American.
-- ZDnet outlines the changes....
- Ban the "sending of commercial electronic messages without the
prior consent of end-users unless there is an existing
- Impose a range of penalties for breaking this law including fines, infringement notices and the ability to seek injunctions;
- Require all commercial electronic messages to include a working opt-out mechanism and the sender's accurate contact details;
- Ban the use of email address harvesting software; and
- Aim to cooperate with overseas organizations to develop international guidelines and mechanisms to battle spam.